Project Management Fundamentals
Project Management and the Project Life Cycle
- What do we expect from this Course?
- 7 Principals of Project Management
- What is a Project?
- Projects within a Programme
- What is Project Management?
- Who is the Project Manager?
- Project Organisation Structure
- The Project Life Cycle – 4 Stage Approach
Stage 1 – Initiation
- Identify the need for the project
- Analyse Business options
- Lessons from previous projects investigated and acknowledged
- complete a Business Case
- Give justification to the project
- Measures benefits against dis-benefits
- Document major risks
- Define and document Roles and Responsibilities
- Appoint a Project Manager
- Business Case Sign Off
Stage 2 – Planning
- Projects agreed and appropriately prioritised
- A PID (Project Initiation document) created
- Project Plan created using a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Project planned detailing Phases, Tasks, Duration, Start and Finish Date, Constraints, Resources, Costs and Risk.
- Resources added to the project
- Create a Gantt Chart displaying the project’s tasks, milestones and critical path
- Risk Register created
- Quality Register created
- Communications process created
- Set a Baseline (Point of Approval)
- PID Sign Off
Stage 3 – Execution/Control
- Risks assessed and analysed
- If required Change controlled and documented
- Issues escalated and documented
- Actuals against Planned documented
- Stage Plans completed
- Determine If Business Case is still valid or project will deliver the business benefits
Stage 4 – Closing a Project
- Define the end of a Project
- Determine if successful outcome
- Lessons Learned Report completed
- End Project Report completed
SquareOne is among the UK's leading providers of IT training to businesses of all shapes and sizes. Our company pledge is to deliver inspiring, motivational and cost effective training which brings about tangible improvements in productivity. Through our training solutions, individuals are able to gain lifelong skills and realise their full potential whilst clients achieve their corporate goals.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for people who require a basic understanding of how to plan and manage a project. Designed for staff who do not need the intricacies of a PRINCE2 course or for staff who are aiming to attend a PRINCE2 course and wish to learn some prior basic project management skills.
- Learn the principles of good project management
- Plan and manage a project
- Complete necessary project management documentation
- Work as a team to plan, manage and deliver a1 project
- Participants will:
- Be interactive within this course
- Be given a choice of projects to work on
- Be placed into groups with one person in the group acting as Project Manager
- Work through a 4-stage approach to Project Management
- Complete the necessary documentation for each stage in the project
- Work as a team to reach a successful outcome of their project
Duration: 2 Days
The subjects listed on the left are an outline. If there are any additional subjects you wish to cover, please feel free to call us prior to the course. All of our courses can be tailored to meet your business needs.
This course can be delivered as an closed course only.
Closed courses can also be delivered in European countries such as Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Greece, France, Finland, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland and off shore.... Either in English or local languages
Below are a list of upcoming dates and locations where this course is scheduled to take place.